The process of moving children of divorce to other states

|March 20, 2020 | child custody

Custodial parents in Pennsylvania may be able to relocate their children to another state. However, it requires either the agreement of the other parent or a determination by the court that it is in the best interests of your children.

In most cases, if the other parent does not agree to the relocation, a custody hearing will be held to figure out if a parent’s request to move should be granted. Individuals may be allowed to relocate if they have found a job that pays a higher salary or if they are moving closer to their children’s extended family members. A custodial parent may be ordered to pay the extra costs of transporting a child to and from a noncustodial parent’s home.

The parenting plan may include provisions that allow the other parent to retain an active role in his or her son or daughter’s life. Even if a custodial parent is allowed to relocate with his or her child, it may not necessarily be the best decision. In some cases, children may develop attitude or behavioral problems if they are separated from adults with whom they have close relationships.

While a divorce may mean the end of a romantic relationship between two people, it doesn’t absolve them of their responsibilities to their children. In most cases, parents are allowed to visit or otherwise communicate with their sons or daughters whether they have custody rights. If a custodial parent wants to move to another state, a divorce attorney may help the noncustodial parent contest that decision. Custody disputes may be resolved in court or through mediation or informal talks between the parents.

Call Today & Learn About
Your Legal Options

To schedule your consultation call us at (717) 221-8303.