At some point in their lives, many people consider adopting a child. Whether they are insprired by someone else’s adoption story or wish to adopt a stepchild, this decision should be accompanied by seeking answers to your burning questions. Is this the right time in my life? How much will this cost? Does my spouse have to adopt the child also? What if I am single?
What you should consider before beginning your adoption process
In addition to seeking answers to your questions, potential adoptive parents should also consider the following:
- How long are you willing to wait for a child?
- Do you and your spouse agree about this decision?
- Are you open to adopting siblings?
- What known challenging circumstances or medical conditions are you willing to deal with?
- Do you have the financial means to raise a child?
- To what extent would you be comfortable maintaining contact with your child’s birth family?
Whether you decide that you are ready to move forward, or you simply want some of your questions answered, you should consult with an adoption attorney to ensure you are fully-equipped with the right information.